Sunday, November 9, 2014

Election Day Hackathon

For Election Day, I attended a Hackathon at RIT's MAGIC Center(http://magic.rit.edu/main/index.html) and if you ever get the chance to go there for any reason, I highly suggest visiting, because it's awesome.  There are 9 projectors on the ceiling projecting an almost 360 degree view around the room.  For this specific hackathon, we had a ton of election statistics being projected on a bunch of the views which was awesome, especially since I was informed that the statistics we had were as up to date as could possibly be.  Although I find politics interesting, I am extremely ignorant in that field and so I didn't really pay any attention to the stats, but I still thought it was pretty cool!

One of the other things being projected was an IRC channel with a bot that allowed us to control both the what songs we wanted to queue up collectively as a group, and what level we wanted the volume at.  We also had some lightning talks/presenting going on, and it was really cool to see some of the projects people were working on.

Personally, I, MrNex(github.com/MrNex), and Dtendr(github.com/dtendr) worked a bit on our XO open source project for HFOSS class.  The hackathon was great because it gave us the chance to work out some key points of our project, and to do so in an extremely open and social environment.  There was some really great food there, like pizza and chips, both of which I ate too much of.  With the help of my teammates, I was able to install Python 2.7(https://www.python.org/download/releases/2.7/) and really get a good grip on how the existing code works.  Again I highly suggest visiting the RIT Magic Center at some point if you get the chance, it is very open and everyone is friendly, and I recommend attending hackathons in general if you get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment